Congratulations to the Grand Prize Award Winners who were recognized at the 2014 Chanticleer Authors Conference Awards Gala!
How does the Chanticleer Blue Ribbon International Writing Competitions for BEST BOOKS work?
Each work submitted enters into one of ten specific genre competitions:
- The CYGNUS Awards for SciFi, Speculative Fiction, Fantasy
- The JOURNEY Awards for Narrative Non-Fiction
- The M&Ms Awards for Mystery & Mayhem Novels
- The DANTE ROSSETTI Awards for YA and New Adult Fiction
- The CHAUCER Awards for Historical Fiction
- The LARAMIE Awards for Western, Pioneer, & Civil War Fiction
- The CHATELAINE Awards for Women’s & Romantic Fiction
- The CLUE Awards for Mystery, Thriller, Suspense Novels
- The PARANORMAL Awards for Paranormal and Supernatural Powers Fiction
- The SOMERSET Awards for Literary, Mainstream, & Contemporary Fiction
- These contests rotate throughout the year in order to facilitate the rounds of judging required for the competition
- Each work competed to be listed as a FINALIST within the genre competition (Finalists withstood 3 rounds of slush pile reading, a minimum of sixty pages for a work to move forward)
- Finalists are then announced in Chanticleer’s social media postings as results come in
- The OFFICIAL LIST of FINALISTS are posted on CBR’s website once all results are in
- Finalists then compete for FIRST IN CATEGORY positions within the genre competition
- Works continue to drop out as “saggy middles,” plots begin to wander, poor dialog creeps in, and other telltale signs begin to show
- An internal list of all works that were completely read by the judges and found to be of merit is made
- All completely read books are then evaluated by the all the genre competitions’ judges and individually ranked by best in category
- Works then compete for First in Category Positions for each genre
- Results are tallied and then announced in Chanticleer’s social media postings
- The OFFICIAL Listing of FIRST in CATEGORY titles and authors are then posted on the Chanticleer website
- The FIRST in CATEGORY works compete for the genre’s grand prize position
A combined team of CBR judges, librarians, editors, booksellers, and other publishing professionals select the GENRE GRAND PRIZE Award Winners and the OVERALL GRAND PRIZE Award Winner for the year. These works are recognized at the annual Chanticleer Authors Conference Awards Gala.
And now to recognize the works that were awarded the CHANTICLEER GRAND PRIZE BLUE RIBBONS in 2014!
Each of these works competed in the 2013 Chanticleer Blue Ribbon International Writing Competitions that were held in 2013.
- VIRTUES OF WAR by Bennett Coles took home the CYGNUS Grand Prize
- MORE FASTER BACKWARDS, REBUILDING DAVID B by Christine Smith to home the JOURNEY Grand Prize
- FATAL INDUCTION by Bernadette Pajer to home the M&M Grand Prize
- THE BOREALIS GENOME by Thomas P. Wise and Nancy Wise took home the DANTE ROSSETTI Grand Prize
- PROPOSITUM by Sean Curley took home the CHAUCER Grand Prize
- UNBROKE HORSES by Dale B. Jackson took home the LARAMIE Grand Prize
- CHOICES by Kate Vale took home the CHATELAINE Grand Prize
- RAGGEDY MAN by Clyde Curley took home the CLUE Grand Prize
- THE WATCHER by Lisa Voisin took home the PARANORMAL Grand Prize
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED by Jeremy Bullian took home the SOMERSET Grand Prize
and (drumroll, please)
- THE PRODIGAL by Michael Hurley took home the OVERALL Grand Prize for Best Book
To SUBMIT YOUR WORK TO COMPETE IN THE CHANTICLEER BLUE RIBBON AWARDS FOR BEST BOOKS, click here!
You know that you want a CBR BLUE RIBBON!